Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The New House

We are still settling into the new house and it's doesn't quite feel like home yet. The only rooms really settled and unpacked are the bedrooms, but then I think that's to be expected since we spend a lot of time in them.

So the low down on the house, and this is educated guesses, builders suggestions, etc, nothing confirmed. The original building was most likely a late 1960's early 70's kit home build in the early 70's. It was a three (3) bedroom, one (1) bathroom, home with a front veranda. The oldest sit plan it 1969.'



Why we think this? Apart from the building inspector and my father-in-law, a builder by trade, saying so. There are many aspects to the roofing, walls and electrical work to suggest this.

What has been added over time? All of down stairs. It is possible that the laundry was always down there but until the rest was enclosed this space was open, like many current Australian homes still today.


Some of the big give aways to work having been done are the bad electrical work, the modern cornice and the half finished or badly done handyman work. As time goes by and I get to each room I will hopefully be able to show you what I'm talking about.

My dilemma for now is do I take it back to the 70's feel as a house or do I mix it up. My mother thinks I should just mix every thing from the 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's into the house. Her reason is no one ever really just lived in one decade, not real people on limited budgets, so why should I.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Your house looks really beautiful. I love the white and red? trim.
    I think your Mom is right.
    When I move into a new place I plan on doing 50s-60s but I know I will be adding some 70s amongst the other stuff. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks VC. The trim is a faded orange and will be going at some point. I've always wanted a bright red front door.

    ReplyDelete