Sunday, September 11, 2011

Book Review - Amy Barickman's Vintage Notions

"An Inspirational Guide to needlework, cooking, sewing, fashion and fun."
By Amy Barickman

Let me start by pointing out that this is an American History book, while this may not bother some people others will like to know ( like myself). I think knowing, or not, can sometime effect how you feel about a book or the way in which you understand the book. With that said....

Amy choose a rather different layout for this book but I think it works well with how she has chosen to write and the message she is trying to convey. That is to say filling it, from January to December, with a year (or more) worth of articles. While there is a month to a chapter they are also broken into seasons. So for readers in the southern hemisphere it will be around the wrong why. I do like the idea and think Amy has done a lovely job of it.

Truth be told I'm still not sure how I feel about this book. It's not that I dislike it at all but that it doesn't really grab my interest. Overall Amy Barickman's Vintage Notions is well written, well put together in a creative way and has a lovely vintage feel to it. Since the book is based around Mary Brooks Picken (who I had never heard of before) and her writings the era is mostly 1920-1930, and this is evident from the many images through out the book.

Every aspect of life is covered from single woman looking for work and/or a husband to mothers keeping house and the older woman looking to improve herself. Cooking and sewing are only apart of what makes up the pages, health and beauty, housekeeping and millinery and the lovely inspiration areas too. In many ways this book will remind you of how lucky we are to be able to have so much choose and be able to do so much more in once day, if only we could be as efficient as they once were.

There are two main areas that my interest different people within the cover, and a lovely cover it is. These areas are American History, both woman's and sewing. There is little of today but that is not to say you can't take what you learn from these pages and applie them to today's world, you can very much so.

Overall review - While I like the idea of Amy Barickman's Vintage Notions it is not a book I would keep in my bookshelf. It is too American for me, and the wrong era. I would recommend this book to others to read as I think it has a lot to offer the right person.

*Should you agree or disagree with me on anything I have written you are most welcome to post a comment but please remember to keep it neat and clean.*

No comments:

Post a Comment