Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday Sewing - Simplicity 4825

This great little apron was a gift for a friends birthday, the first of my homemade gift's for the year. I only brought 1m of this fabric, at the time I just thought it was so cute but had no idea what I would make with it. After coming across Simplicity 4825 I just knew the two would go great together, it also takes one off my To Do List.
I chose view 3 for this fabric.
The only down side to this pattern was I didn't have as much fabric as required but it all worked out in the end.
I chose to do french seams on most of the seams as I like how they look and feel they give a better finish.
Here you can see were I've done a 1/4 inch seam and am now trimming part away for the next step.

I've sewen the fabric wrong sides together, then pressed it so the seam is on the inside and sewen an other 1/4 inch seam. I think this looks better for aprons seams as they maybe seen, unlike the inside of a skirt.
Next I hemmed the bottom of the apron. This was done with a foot attachment and makes quick work of it, however for an even stronger hem you could fold this up again and stitch.
Here you can see one end of the waist band inside out with the tie ribbon also sewen in.

Once turned right side out I have stitched 1/4 inch much the same as the french seam. Here I used red ribbon instead on the recommended fabric to match, this was one area I was able to save fabric.

On the lower edge of the waist band I pressed about 1/4 inch hem, you could then baste each side if you wish but I didn't. This was done to prepare for the gathered skirt of the apron to be basted inside.

To gather fabric (like most things) is really very easy once you know how. I set my straight stitch to it's longest setting and stitch the area that needs to be gathered, then hold onto one end of the thread and slowly push/pull fabric till I get the gather I like. Note: I had to resew a few time's when I first did this, pulled too much etc.
This isn't the best photo but you should get the idea.
Alone the bottom there are three lines of stitching 1 is were I basted the gathered skirt on, 2nd is 1/4 from edge of the waist band and 3rd is as close to the waist band edge as you can do. Afterwards I unpicked the basting.

No matter how long you've been sewing or how hard you try sometimes you with just have unpick things. To prove this you only need to so what I did on the underside of the apron. Oh well, can't be perfect all the time.
Sorry this photo is a fare bit fuzzy, I didn't see how bad it was till I uploaded it and since I have already given the apron I can't get a better shot. Oh well, an other thing I need to work on. Hopefully you can make out the scalloped edge, it was meant to be longer but I didn't have the right amount of fabric and I also didn't add the brade/ric-a-rac and I felt the busy cupcake design didn't need it.
Hope you have had a fruitful week whatever you have been up to. I am off to work on some more tarts.

6 comments:

  1. I have a bit of a thing for making aprons and I love this one! It's so cute and your fabric was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful apron, Jasmine!! I love your French seams and the pattern is so beautiful. I bet the recipient was thrilled!!

    You've made me want to sew an apron now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love aprons and think it's great I'm not the only one.

    I just knew you would love the fabric Sarah, being a cupcake lover and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jaede, love your new pic.

    ReplyDelete