Friday, January 14, 2011

Week Day Meals

As part of my To Do List I wanted to better plan our family meals, this was more focused on Monday too Thursday meals as these are the days I always have the most issues with. No matter how hard I trid last year I just never seemed to stay on top of it. I also wanted to try new meals and learn to be a better cook over all.

So this week I picked all my meals from "Jamie's 30 Minute Meals", I did most of the meals in about 45 minute. I did however have to keep stopping to reread the steps and remember what I was doing, I sure you could do them in 30 minutes once you get to know some of the tec-necs better as well as the meals.

Monday - Broccoli Orecchiette, Courgette & Bocconcini Salad, Prosciutto & Melon Salad.

Atomic Dad's Verdict - Ok!
Atomic Children's Verdict - Yuck.

I wont be cooking this dish again, not that it was a bad dish it is just too different in flavours for my lot and the Prosciutto & Melon Salad was a strange mix.

Tuesday - Pregnant Jools's Pasta, Crunchy Chicory & Watercress Salad, Little Frangipane Tarts.


Atomic Dad's Verdict - Yummy
Atomic Children's Verdict - Umm, what's that?

While I didn't mind this dish the children were not so sure, an other one that was a bit too different for them just yet. Might try this again at some later date.

Wednesday - Cauliflower Macaroni, Chicory Salad with Insane Dressing, Lovely Stewed Fruit.


Atomic Dad's Verdict - Awesome
Atomic Children's Verdict - Yummy, more please.

This was both easy to cook and easy to eat. The cauliflower broke up in the pasta and the children were none the wiser, it was great. And once they saw the fruit and ice cream they downed dinner. A must do again.

Thursday - Steak Sarnie, Crispy New Potatoes, Cheesy Mushrooms, Beetroot Salad.


Atomic Dad's Verdict - Sensational
Atomic Children's Verdict - Liked the Sarnie, loved the potato's, not too sure about the mushrooms or salad.

Next time I will make this as a little Burger's each, and no mushrooms for the children but it will definitely get cooked again. While there was not dessert, there was no need as we were all totally stuffed afterwards.

This week I learned that I can cook and that I can cook tasty meals. The best bit was that I stuck to budget as well. Will have to now plan next week. While it's not retro cooking it is meal planning and that is retro so it's good for me.

3 comments:

  1. Well done you!!! Looks fantastic! This week I bludged food off the mother in law, had nachos out of pure laziness since his lordship wouldn't take me for dinner (Calamari at the pub - yum!!)and all in all this week has been so dreadful I can't even remember what i made :-D
    LOVE the new food - might have to pop over and read the book (with Master 2 of course but i'm sure the other 2 will join in!!) Hmmm, haven't made cookies in a while? Maybe this time Master 7 won't eat all the dough and Miss 6 won;t put flour all over herself. Uh Oh!! There is still master 2 to wrangle - lol.

    When can we come for dinner again ;-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That steak sarnie is just so...delicious...looking. All of the meals! You make some very photogenic food. :) Glad to hear about the various successes of your cooking project. I'm getting some inspiration from the dishes you chose, as well. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jen, you can come for dinner after I get an toher great brunch at your place.

    @Lisa, the steak sarnie was AD fav dish and I was TOLD I had to cook it again, LOL.

    ReplyDelete