Thursday, December 30, 2010

Meal Planning

This post is part of my “To Do List”,


The Aim

I am not a very good cook, so I would like to better my skills in the kitchen. I would also like to master some basic recipes; these will form the base of my weekly meal plans. A must will be an easy and fast dish should a new dish I try be a total flop, it’s always best to prepare for the worst. I also need to take into account our family is dairy free.

Cook Books

I have a small range of cook books but do not plan to buy any more, I will visit the library if needed. I have a mix of vintage and modern, of meals and desserts, and a few children’s cook books too. In the past I really have not used these book that much, the main issue is time to learn something new and make mistakes along the way. I know about six dishes off the top of my head but they are just plain and simple, not real WOW to them at all. A few of the cook books have some “other” reading in them so I think that may be a good place to start.

The four main cook books I own that I plan to work from are The Commonsense Cookery Book, Australian Cookery of Today Illustrated, New Australian Cookery and Jamie's 30 Minute Meals. I have never made a bad dish from any of these books yet but I will admits I haven't truly tested myself, I always stick to the most basic dishes.

The Next Step

Well I know what I can do and what I’ve got to work with, I now need to see what’s in my cupboard to cook with. From here I will plan our meals for the next week; this should also help with making a shopping list easier (I do love lists).

Meal Plan

Thursday – Tarco’s
Friday – Fish & Chips (as part of movie night)
Saturday - Spaghetti
Sunday – Roast Leg of Lamb
Monday – Sausage Hot Pot (Slow Cooker)
Tuesday – Stake, mash & veg
Wednesday - Lasagne

We always make too much so Atomic Dad takes it to work the next day for lunch.
I will only post about the meal plan once a week at this stage as most of the meals are straight forward but once I become more confident I will try new dishes and post about them.

I’m off to do some reading and clean out my kitchen, Happy cooking everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment