Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday Sewing

McCall’s 3996

I have already used this pattern twice before and love how well it fits and suits me, it never fails to pull compliments’. My other dresses are the full skirt type in blue and green (which I seem to have fogoten to blog), both have more of a house/mother feel to them, so I wanted this one to be different.

Before making this dress I copied the whole pattern on to light weight but strong non-iron interfacing so I won’t destroy the original.

Having made the full skirt version I thought I would make the slim skirt this time. After planning how I wanted the dress to look I picked up what I needed. It was a rather long list for me, as I have never made a dark outfit before.
• Fabric black/white
• Black bias
• 4 x large black thread (for overlocker)
• Light weight interfacing (to copy the pattern)
• Zipper

Ok, so five items doesn’t sound like a lot but normally I only have to buy one or two things as my stash is so big.

Saturday between lunch and dinner I washed, ironed and cut out all pattern pieces.

Saturday between dinner and bedtime (about 11pm), basted top and skirt sections (darts etc) for first fitting, made adjustments, sewed and added bias trim. Basted top and skirt together for second fitting, made adjustments.

Sunday between 7am and lunch, sewed top and skirt together, fitted and made more adjustments. Sewed hem, button holes and buttons. DONE!

As you can see I didn’t get it finished for the morning service but I got to wear it for the afternoon drinks. I paired it with my new shoes and clutch, red lips and large black sunglasses, hair was in a French roll. Sorry no photo’s as we forgot the camera.

What I would do differently next time? Other then take my time, nothing.

What I like about this dress? It’s a wool/polyester blend, ready for winter and doesn’t need to be ironed. It sit’s better with a slip under it, I love slips.


10 comments:

  1. It's great! I really have to take a vow to tackle dresses this year, I keep seeing so many marvelous ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it...Love the plaid and it looks terrific. Love the pairing of the shoes and clutch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, I'm a big fan of black and white check. It looks fab on you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dress came out B.E.A.U.tifully!!!! I love the way it looks on you - the shoes and the belt go with the fabric so well : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely, the fabric is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is a knockout dress! I've never been that excited by patterns for this shape of dress -- they always look so plain and straight-up-and-down on the envelope -- but the one you've made up is impressively elegant and womanly. I especially like the contrast binding on the bodice. I may have to rethink my attitude towards designs like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Great work! You styled it wonderfully with your fab finds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the dress! What a great job. I just wished I could finish so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This came out great. I just love that pattern. It's a great shape for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all your kinds words. I must admit that I am very pleased with myself with how this dress turned out.

    ReplyDelete