Friday, March 5, 2010

Getting the Family Involved

Having trouble getting the family, or just that Darling Husband, on board to your retro revolution. I did and I have had a few people ask about it so this is for you all.


It's slow going but you've got to show them you’re in this for the long run. I've tried lots of things, different things work for different people. Just find what work's best for you.

What did it for me was finding a great dress pattern it has to make you look real womanly, show off the bit’s he likes but still keep with the era you are into. Then make it yourself, this shows how committed you are. See McCall’s 3996 January blog for the dress that did it for my husband, I've also made it in green with white spots.

Does he like gaming? Then try him on Bioshock, Bioshock2 and Fallout3 and there are more out there. These are retro style games and might tweak his interest.

Go to the library and get some books of your era with lots of pics, leave them open on things he might like. Talk to him about them.

Is he a man of fashion? Get him a new vintage hat or a pair of shoes.

The idea is to find what HE real likes and match it with your era.

Once I spent my first week as a retro housewife my husband doesn’t want to stop me, I sew more, cook more, am happier then I have ever been and am make new friends. Oh and saving lots of money, this is a big one for him. He loves the Thrifty 365 challenge for just that reason.

At the end of the day you need to know how much time you want to spend on getting him on side and how much time you want to spend on your love of the era. If you love it that much and it makes you happy then go for it, he will come around it just might take longer, six months for me and I still can’t get him to wear something I made.

However remember there are no guaranties and that he might just not be interested, ever.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post addressing this issue.

    You have given me a starting point so I'll jump in. I have a few Hollywood and Du Barry patterns in waiting in addition to some McCall's so I'm set for awhile. Maybe I can do the challenge?

    As for my husband, I guess we'll see how well he adjusts. I'm thinking he may be in the never camp but that will be O.K. The American's have a saying "if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" and I believe this to be true.

    I cannot thank-you enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome Jennifer, I wish you the best of luck. You will have to let me know how things go.

    ReplyDelete