Thursday, February 18, 2010

Recipe of the Week

I had great hopes doing a three dish meal with all the trimmings and great photos but alas real life just steps in and says NO. My house hold is sick, each and eveyone. So this called for a rethink and a fast flick through the cook book. I wanted to use the food I brought for my planned meal as some of it we wouldn't normaly eat, then I found Minestrone. So here is my first Recipe of the Week, great for a sick house hold.

Minestrone from New Australian Cookery

1 chopped onion
1 potato
1/2 a small cabbage
1 leek
1 carrot
1 turnip
1 tomato
1 cup peas or beans ( I used frozen peas )
1 tablespoon chopped parsley ( out of our garden)
2 tablespoons macaroni ( I used noodles )
Stock ( I used chicken )
1 wineglass white wine ( didn't add due to children)
Grated dry cheese ( we had none )
2 tablespoons oil or butter ( I always use butter as I think it has a better taste )

Melt the oil or butter and add the chopped onion.  When it browns add evey thing but the peas and tomato, dice all vegetables. Once these brown then add the peas and tomato.


Cover with stock and simmer for about 20 miutes. Add macaroni ( or noodles in my case) and cook untill soft. ( I think I added too many noodles)


Stir in wine, bring to the boil and then serve with grated cheees ( or not as the case maybe).


All in all I was very happy with the dish, I added salt and pepper to taste and had made so much there was plenty for dinner a second night. This would be one of those dished you could make and freeze for lazy night or running out of time dinners.

3 comments:

  1. Looks very good, I love your dishware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely LOVE your apron dress! Need to find that pattern badly! Yum looking soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! that apron looks fabulous on you. I am desperately trying to find it for me as I really want to make one.

    ReplyDelete